Monday, September 27, 2010

I've got your strategery planning right HERE...

So just to let you know, I AM working on an entry about the only thing I hate about autumn, but like a genius I went and drew the illustrations on my parents' computer.  Which is at my parents' house.  Which is not where I am right now.  Boo-urns.  You shall simply have to wait for it.  Actually it may be a blessing in disguise as I feel like the entry was getting a little wordy and tangent-y.

Basically, right now I am in high-procrastination mode.  I have just completed the required textbook readings for my Wednesday night class and SHOULD be diligently reading the articles with my highlighter in hand, but instead I am on the internet.  This is not because I hate school or libraries or books. This is because I have an aversion to corporate/management jargon.

So far, we have endured the discussion on "leadership" and "team-building."  This week we are learning about "planning" in its many diabolically inane and banal incarnations.  It isn't that I don't think plans in general are useful.  I PLAN to brush my teeth before bed.  That sounds like a good plan to me!  I just get a little crazy at the fact that these chapters could effectively be summarized in two pages, but in order to create an entire textbook that can be sold to students for $40, the authors insert all sorts of ridiculous filler.

On a side note, have you ever noticed how words lose all meaning when you're reading something that is of no interest to you?  You're required to read it and know the content on some level, but you swear if you ever have to turn around and spout this nonsense to someone for your livelihood, you will run off and live among the Crab-people.

Whew!  Thanks for listening to my rant!  Just know that this is for a REQUIRED course in my graduate program and that I am not taking this by choice.  I do think that my professor is a lovely person who genuinely feels that the subject matter is worthwhile and wants us to engage with the discussions.  So what if most of the discussions devolve into people complaining about their own workplace/management horror stories?  We've all been there and done that.

Now that I have successfully procrastinated for about half an hour, I shall check Facebook one more time and then trudge back to complete my reading for the evening.  To help you understand my mood, I will leave you with a self-portrait illustration.  Please note that while I would love to spend the time drawing the details of my pajama t-shirt, it is just too busy of a design.  I shall verbally summarize it by saying that it contains a picture of a race car that is driven by some guy I have never met named Danny Bayer.  Hey, it was FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment