Monday, February 7, 2011

Whoa!

It's been a little while since my last entry, but a lot has happened and there is no way you will guess exactly what.  Well, maybe you will if you're a friend or family that has seen or spoken to me in the last few days, but if not, you're in for a big shock.

I could spend a lot of time with a big back story and build-up, but this time I am cutting right to the chase:  I am adopting a dog.  Tomorrow. 

Are you surprised?  Happy?  Confused?  Outraged?  Let me explain.  I started out this month without a thought in the world to adopting an animal.  True, I have always loved dogs and have wanted to have one to call my own, but there have always been extenuating circumstances that have prevented this.  Whether it was living situation, time constraints or lack of a support network, I have always come down with the conclusion that I have to wait.

I have not spent much time on shelter and humane society websites in the past few years, largely due to the fact that my puppy needs were more than fulfilled by my parents and their dogs.  While I could probably continue forever in this vicarious form of dog ownership, I realized quite suddenly that most of my reasons for waiting had disappeared.

First and foremost, my parents now live much closer to me.  This has always been a crucial criteria as I know that I will need a bit of help now and then and I absolutely trust my parents to be kind and loving to my new friend. 

Second, I live in a house that allows for pets.  OK, so I have lived in this house for over six years.

Finally, I came to realize something very important.  There are many people out there my age (or even younger) who have taken on the responsibility of caring for a dog.  Actually, there are people my age who are responsible for multiple children.  Do I really think that my life is so utterly complicated and busy that I really cannot find the time, energy and resources to care for one dog?

So the decision has been made and in less than 24 hours, she will be here with me.  I have been given some good pointers and tips for expectations, and I think that I am realistically expecting that the transition may be tough.  It's another upheaval for this little creature and it will take time for her to realize that this one is permanent.

As for me, I have spent the last few days running around to stores, picking up supplies, cleaning my house, making appointments and mentally planning out my morning schedule.  Please forgive me if I don't have much time to write in the first few days.  I am anticipating a lack of sleep, but I figure it can only be a tiny fraction of what a new parent experiences when bringing home a new baby.

Now I am off to bed to experience what may be my last night of sleeping alone for a very long time.  Oh, and since I didn't mention it already, her name is Lena.

No comments:

Post a Comment