Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Of all the times to write!

Just a quick little December morning blog entry.  I broke with my newly established routine and did not work out on the elliptical this morning, but I have a good semi-decent lame excuse.  The dogs. 

My parents are out at the farm working on some updates for a couple of days.  If it were for a longer stint, my mom would have taken her dogs because she gets a little lonesome for them, but for such a short trip, it was easier on all that they stay at home.

This means, as you may have guessed, that they all sleep with me.  With a few years experience in this department, it actually goes off just fine.  Everyone settles into their usual comfortable spot and waits until the alarm goes off to start jumping around.  They even seem to have mastered the idea of a snooze button in that the temporary sound of the alarm rouses them but they will resume their positions when I hit the button.

These mornings require a little more attention from me, but they are quite simple.  Actually, it is sort of fun for the dogs (I think) because with only one human in the house, they can bark as loud as they want as early as they see fit without consideration for those who may still be sleeping.  Not that they care either way.

Last night I went over to a friend's house for dinner and to hang out with her and her new baby girl.  It was fun and helpful as I am quite skittish with small babies and it is nice to be around a mom who can calmly offer advice as to how to hold them.  I think it comes from the fact that I was quite young when my brothers were born.  Adults must be quite firm with children when it comes to handling babies for obvious reasons.  I distinctly remember being told to be very careful of the heads of babies.

You know, the "soft spot" issue.  Oh, and the floppy neck thing.  Oddly enough, these are two of my biggest worries when I hold small babies.  It should therefore come as no surprise that I claim to "prefer" to hold babies when they are at least a few months old.  Three to six months, actually.  This may be about the time they start to really "see" things and can interact on a personal level by laughing at or imitating adults. 

The good news is that all the babies of my friends are growing and will soon be in that phase.  From that point onwards, I think I have it covered.  I am great at reading books and singing songs.  I am also pretty awesome at playing dolls and dress-up.  If necessary, I can even play with trains, cars and action figures. 

Anyway, enough morning chit-chat; I have to finish getting ready for work.  Have a great day!

-Megan and the Party Animals

No comments:

Post a Comment