Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Remains of the Vacation

Now that I am on the tail end of my mini-vacation, I should be ready to write.  Actually, more than anything I am ready to get back to work.  Weird, I know.  It's not that there is a really pressing and exciting project.  I just miss the routine.  Sad, huh?

Lucky for me, I have several more weeks before I get another extra day off and over a month until I have anything like a vacation day to utilize.  But that is just fine with me. 

You see, if things go to "plan" I should have a very busy month ahead of me.  Not to jinx anything, but I will hopefully hear within the next week as to whether or not my house can be sold before the end of the year.  It is a little hard to wait, but I have absolutely no control over the progress of the approval, so all I can do is sit back and hope for the best.

If and when the news comes back in my favor, things will really get moving.  Literally.  I will have to arrange to have my entire home packed up and moved to temporary storage within a matter of a few weeks.  It sounds daunting, but now that I have been nudged in the direction of hiring professional packers and movers, it really shouldn't take more than a day or so.  It's not like I live in a palace.

Then, and only then, can I start the real search for a new domicile.  There are truly many options, but I need to consider the all important budget along with the restraints of location and the fact that my household includes a dog.  Oh, and I would also like for it to include space for a small grand piano.  Long story.

This leads me to the distinct possibility that my future rental space may be more house-like than apartment-like.  Which is fine by me, but may require a little extra finesse by way of the search.  But don't worry; I have watched many hundreds of hours of HGTV and I have just a slight idea of what to expect.

Thanksgiving was nice this year, despite the fact that my brother and his girlfriend were not with us.  My youngest cousin and I engaged in our traditional contest of video game dancing and I was successful in moderating my consumption of edibles and drinkables.  The proof will be at this week's weigh-in, but I think I did alright.

It really is hard to believe that I have been living here with my parents for almost five months.  Truthfully, it has passed quickly, but I think we will all be happy when this situation is done and we can all plan our next moves to other locations.  You see, I am not the only member of my family facing major upheaval in the coming months. 

My parents are facing the likely possibility that they will uproot for what will hopefully be the last time and move into the family farmhouse.  It will be an interesting and possibly difficult transition, but I think that it has the possibility to lead to some good for both of them. 

Then there is my brother.  Where do I even start with this one?  The boy/man/creature has been in school for what seems like his entire life.  On one hand, this sounds great.  He is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and will soon have his Master's of Public Health.  The next big challenge is the obvious:  he needs to foray that expensive education into a career.  I know he can do it, but the process is far from simple and far from over.

There is also the issue which I am not allowed to name which relates to my brother and his "living situation."  He knows what I mean.  He knows my thoughts on the subject.  I leave it to him to resolve this one in a proper and timely manner. 

So you see, it is not just me who is facing future uncertainties.  Who knows, maybe in a year we will have made our decisions and I will be writing to you about completely different problems.  Or maybe I will have retreated to the woods and unplugged from modern technology.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment