Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pluto Can't Hang With the Street

Today is a day for interesting and awesome news. I shall begin with the interesting.

On the radio this morning, the hosts were discussing music news. I listen to this exchange every morning, but I rarely remember it for later reference. Today, however, I was caught by the mention of Dr. Dre. Now, I listen to a Minnesota Public Radio Station that features a somewhat eclectic mix of music that trends towards alternative or non-mainstream. Occasionally there is rap, but usually it is from local artists such as Atmosphere or POS.

Anyone who knows me could tell you that I’m not exactly an aficionado of rap, but I have been known to listen to (and enjoy) it when I’m in the right mood. If I had to name my favorite well-known rappers, I would probably say that Dr. Dre is in my top three. I’m not an expert on his entire repertoire, but I can proudly say that I know all the words (including the naughty ones) to “B*tches Ain’t Sh#t.” I should probably add, however, that this is thanks largely to Ben Fold’s more contemplative version of the song. It seriously disturbs my mother to hear me or my brother play it on the piano, which is really all part of the fun.

Now that you know my feelings on the general subject, here is the interesting news part of my story. Apparently, Dr. Dre is planning to make and release an INSTRUMENTAL album of songs that are inspired by or based on the planets of the solar system. Try and wrap your head around that idea! According to the radio host (who got her information from theenemy.com), he has been studying the planets for a couple of years during his spare time. No joke. AND it will need to be made for surround sound – because of Saturn. You know, with the rings?

Seriously, I am extremely intrigued by this idea and I really hope that he completes it. He has not released an album since the late 90’s although he has been working on one for a couple of years that has yet to be released. I would be willing to pay a good amount of money to own the Dr. Dre instrumental planetary album.

Now for my AWESOME news. This story will have far less universal appeal to people outside the Twin Cities, but it has made me unreasonably happy, so I must share. Here’s a little background for you non-locals. My favorite restaurant in the world is called Heidi’s. It was a little restaurant located in a one-level older commercial building in a residential neighborhood of south Minneapolis. Last winter, the building that housed Heidi’s (along with several other shops) started on fire and burned down.

It has been a long and sad time without access to my favorite eatery, but today I received an email from my best friend that simply contained a link to a news story on a local website. Heidi’s is going to re-open in a new location in February 2011!!! Yes, this does seem like a long time from now, but the fact remains that I will have access to its awesome and ever changing menu once again!!! I will be able to order the Chefzilla Surprise!!!

I am sorry that this entry does not contain any strange or possibly humorous stories of my past, but believe me when I tell you that I have been working on several and they will be coming out shortly. I’m not sure why I am even bothering to say this as I don’t know that anyone besides my mother and my friend Mary reads this, but just in case I ever do become famous and someone reads my entire archived backlog of entries, I’m covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment