Sunday, November 21, 2010

More than you probably wanted to know about my weekend

Good news!  I just came home from a weekend at my parents' house, and my toilet is working perfectly!  I knew that you were all on the edge of your seats about that one, so I thought I would put your minds at rest immediately.

So this weekend was a fairly productive one both in terms of sleep catch-up and homework accomplishments.  Although I do not have classes this week due to Thanksgiving, I did have a big deadline today for my library simulation project.  After hours spent slaving away on my parents' computer, all the while keeping my mom from her mission of posting pictures of her dogs in Christmas clothing to Facebook, I completed the draft version of my department's repair plan.  Fascinating, no?  I would have to say no to that as well.

After sticking around for a rousing episode of "Holmes on Homes," I took off on the potentially ice-laden streets to return to my modest abode.  There was a surprising lack of traffic, probably due to the fear-mongering news media that convinced everyone that the roads were pure glare ice.  Honestly, the beginning of the winter driving season is always a bit crazy, even here in MN.  It's like people just forget how to deal with snow and icy driving conditions.

Here is the key:  use caution.  Pay attention to traffic.  Do not ride the tail of the car in front of you.  Allow extra time for stopping.  Do not attempt to weave in and out of traffic at insane speeds.  Simple, right?  You would think so, but no.  Believe me, I have had my fair share of spin-outs and loss of traction, but I can honestly say that I was never going more than 10 mph when they happened.

So this week is Thanksgiving here in the U.S.  Normally, this is one of my favorite holidays as it involves good food, seeing family, and a day off of work.  This year, it will be a little different.  First of all, there will still be food and I still get the day off of work.  However, the only family I will be seeing are my parents and their dogs.  Not that I have a problem with this because it means I can spend the day in my pajamas if I wish and do not have to share the scalloped corn with my cousins.

Despite the fact that we are celebrating with a diminished crew this year, I have been given the responsibility of creating a "salad" for the meal.  It is likely that I will have to assist in other dishes, but this item is specifically mine.  I have pondered different options such as the always popular "finger-cookie fruit salad" or jello salad.  But some part of me is saying that I need to go for the gusto and bring something new to the table.  So, this week I will begin a quest for a new and exciting recipe to test out on my parents.  I will let you know how it goes.

Also on my list of responsibilities for this week is a drawing sequence for my brother, who happens to by my newest follower as well.  Apparently, his girlfriend's dog attempted to smother him for tricking her into giving up her spot on the bed.  This dog is part ninja and she is completely black in color, so I am anticipating a bit of a challenge for my artist's rendering, but I will experiment and come up with a solution.  I do have school work in the midst of all these extra curricular activities, so we'll just see how well I can balance it all.  At least my toilet is working properly, right?

Looking back on this entry, I realize that I really don't have a theme.  Crap.  Well, it is almost 11 p.m. and I really want to get to bed, so you'll just have to deal with it for now.  I really should get back to my old story-telling entries, but I imagine that those will pick up after December 16 when the burden of school work is finally off my back for a couple of months.  Until then, you'll just have to accept that my entries are going to be unfocused and incoherent.  He he.

No comments:

Post a Comment