Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Winter Whining

Well, it is Wednesday night.  I am sitting in my living room, watching an episode of "Bones" while Lena wrestles with her rope bone on the floor.  Oh yes, and I am doing laundry.  What could be more exciting than this?  Today I did an archival reference shadow at a large corporation, which is exciting to me, but probably not to anyone else.

I do not really have a profound subject for this entry, but I would like to articulate my opinion about something that really has been irritating me lately.

OK, so today is March 30.  I realize that technically speaking, we have passed into the season of spring.  This means that winter is over and we are transitioning to summer.  Theoretically, this should also mean that the snow should be melting and temperatures should be rising.  In reality, this is what is happening.

So why am I annoyed?  For some reason unbeknownst to me, people in this part of the world seem to be suffering from some serious memory loss.  I cannot count how many people in the last few weeks have been complaining about the duration of this past winter and how ready they are for summer.  This is not in itself unusual.  Goodness knows that I knew plenty a Minnesotan in high school who gleefully broke out the jean shorts the first time the outside temperature reached 40 degrees.

What is different about this year is that people in general seem to be hung up on the belief that this particular winter has been longer than usual.  Truth be told, I don't think this is true.  Perhaps we have had more snow at later times than in recent years, but I know for a fact that we have had snow on the ground later than March.

If only a few people seemed whiny about this issue, I could probably just laugh at them, but some of them have taken it to the next level:  martyrdom.  If there is one thing that I cannot stand, it is people who play up the role of the martyr for really stupid reasons.  Reasons that simply relate to the climate of the region in which people choose to live.  Seriously?  If you can't take the winters, move to Texas.  You will be hailed as a warrior when you show the locals that you can indeed drive in two inches of snow.  Go from martyr to hero just by changing your zip code.  Come on.  Do it.

Anyway, now that I have vented, I'm sure that I am due for punishment in the form of a late blizzard, but no worries.  I'm cool with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment