Sunday, February 10, 2013

Snowfall

Shocking news.  It is February in Minnesota and it is snowing.  Wow. 

Maybe you can sense my sarcasm, but if not, I was being facetious in my previous statements.  But if you go on my Facebook feed right now, you should be prepared to see that the majority of my MN located friends are posting information related to the current weather conditions.

To which, I say, "Seriously?"  I mean, how did we survive before we had Facebook to warn everyone about the weather that can clearly be seen through the window and has been in the weather predictions for almost a week?  Yesterday I went out to finally make my Christmas gift related purchase of snowshoes and boots at REI.  It had not yet begun to snow, and I expect that the amount of customers in the store were typical for a Saturday.

After that, I decided to make a stop at the local Trader Joe's to pick up some items I had been thinking about all week but had not had the energy or memory to stop and buy.  Big mistake.  Not only was I dealing with Saturday shoppers, but I suspect I was also working alongside the preppers.  As in the people who were "prepping" for the snow apocalypse that was sure to keep them trapped and housebound for 2-3 weeks.  Right?

If there is one thing that I can say for certain after nearly 33 years living in this part of the world, it is that heavy snowfall has never kept me indoors for more than 48 hours.  We in MN certainly have the infrastructure that allows for not-too-long delays in road clearing.  We own shovels, snow-blowers and have plows on our pickup trucks.  I own several pairs of snow resistant boots, have numerous winter coats, hats, mittens and scarves. 

Heck, I even have snowshoes now. 

There is NO WAY I am going to starve to death in this weather.  In fact, I may go so far as to say that I will very likely be going to work in the morning.

Now, I realize that not everyone has the luxury of living in the city within a few miles of their office.  My father, for instance, faces a daily commute of over an hour in either direction.  But he has made allowances for this in that he brought home his access equipment and is fully prepared to stay home tomorrow if the conditions forbid it. 

I should probably end this entry soon.  I suspect that my father will require my assistance to start clearing out the driveway and sidewalk before the accumulation reaches the six inch mark.  Because, you know, this isn't our first blizzard and likely will not be our last.

No comments:

Post a Comment