Thursday, December 16, 2010

A New Adventure

First of all, an update on my school situation.  Last night I turned in my paper and did my mini-presentation.  It went... OK.  My professor likes to have people go in alphabetical order, which meant that I presented second-to-last.  On the negative side, I had the whole class period to stew about it.  On the positive side, everyone else was so relieved and tuned out by the time I went that I don't think many people were paying too much attention.  Tonight I am going on a field trip for my last class, so I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Now for my adventure.  OK, so it's really more of an unknown journey with mysterious and unpredictable outcomes.  Hm.  No.  It's not really any of that.

Basically, this morning at work we had our annual "health benefits meeting."  This is where our insurance rep comes in and explains our coverage basics for the coming year, including costs and new inclusions/exclusions.  As is the trend with most things in life, our insurance has grown more expensive with each passing year.  This year is no exception.

The big change is that this year, I decided to try something new.  I went online and completed the application forms and checked out pricing and coverage for individual plans.  Turns out, for less money per month I can get a plan that actually meets my needs and concerns.  AND if I don't go on my employers plan, my company saves money by not having to pay monthly for my group premiums as well. 

So... pending approval from underwriting, I am going to be insured all by myself for the first time in my life.  It's a bit scary, but the insurance company is one that I've used before and it fairly reputable (relatively speaking). 

I realize that this may not have been the big and exciting story you were all expecting, so as consolation, here is a drawing for the Days of Christmas series:

No comments:

Post a Comment