Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I am just throwing this out there...

So what would you think of living in Fairbanks, Alaska? 

Before you jump to any conclusions, NO, I have not been offered a job at the North Pole.  Technically I have not even applied for one.  Yet.  Honestly, with the way my job search has gone, there is probably no real risk in applying for a job anywhere because I likely will not get it.  But one must always consider the logistics JUST IN CASE.

Over the weekend, my brother introduced me to VBS.com or the Vice network.  There could be much more to the company, but they produce short films and documentaries.  It is hard to explain, but they like obscure topics and subjects.  We watched two separate series this weekend.  The first traveled "off the grid" to film the life of a couple who lives up in the Alaskan wilderness. 

I was alarmed to find that some of the couple's reasons for choosing such a lifestyle resonated with me, at least as of late.  The desire to be in a peaceful place and away from the unhealthiness of an urban/suburban life definitely makes sense to me.  However, the extreme to which they must go was a bit beyond my willingness to endure.  Survival skills are great to have, to be sure, but I simply cannot and will not skin a bear.  No way, no how.  I am not willing to be a fur trapper and snare beavers.  Not in my wildest dreams (or nightmares).

The second series we watched was far less bloody but even more bizarre.  Through a process of bribery and under-the-table dealing, the filmmakers were allowed into North Korea.  If you did not know, North Korea is a closed country.  They don't like to let anyone in and they don't like to let anyone out.

But.  If you grease the right palms, they apparently will allow some tourists to gain entry as long as they abide by the strict and sometimes confusing rules.  As a rule of thumb, one should assume that they cannot bring in reading materials, photographs or anything that would blatantly showcase that the world is happy and functional outside the borders of their country. 

I really cannot say much to accurately describe my reaction to the series, except to say that it was TRIPPY.  Don't believe me?  Check it out HERE.  As a disclaimer, I would not show this to children under the age of 16.  But that is just my opinion.  Do as you please.  It comes in multiple parts, but I would highly recommend watching all of them. 

To be honest, I have never known all that much about North Korea, aside from the fact that it was run by a strange little guy named Kim Jong Il, who happened to pass away recently.  That and I have watched "Team America: World Police" several times and am familiar with Mr. Il's puppet incarnation.

So check it out.  I guarantee, if nothing else you will be amazed and grateful to live in a country without a demilitarized zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment