Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Keeping momentum

It has been two years since I started this blog and it appears that I have done a terrible job at growing my readership.  Of course, this is obviously my own fault entirely, but I am going to attempt to do my best to not go off in the way of several of my former favorite bloggers by simply disappearing from the face of the earth.

I imagine it must be quite difficult to be widely admired and followed by readers worldwide, so I am perhaps going to keep my goals smaller and more realistic.

Life has somehow managed to get in the way of writing.  Or perhaps I have simply needed a little time off to deal with the strange reality that the career change I was hoping for (into librarianship) appears to remain eternally elusive.  Unfortunately, paying on my student loans is not dependent on my being able to find gainful employment in my chosen field, so I must work however I can.  If it must be in banking regulatory compliance, so be it.

Yesterday I had a bit of a scary moment.  I very nearly erased the ongoing work of one of my coworkers, but thanks to the awesome power of the IT group and their recovery techniques, all was saved.  Just when I was starting to worry about my decision to leave my former job, I had a conversation with one of my friends and former coworkers today that reaffirmed my decision.  If there is anything I have learned from this prolonged experience, it is that it is simply not worth it to spend one's worthwhile waking hours at a job that makes one profoundly unhappy.

Total job satisfaction may be impossible, but I think there is much to be said for a job that does not bring you to tears every evening over the sheer futility of it. 

So, YAY for my new job.  In other news, my house is still on the market.  10 days running now.  I somehow suspect that my realtors prediction of a two week selling period will not work out to be true, but this was always my real expectation, so no biggie.  I can hold off on the apartment search.

But this whole thing brings me to a new thought.  For many years I have been restricted by homeownership.  Yes, I know it is a dream for many, but it has long been a weight around my neck that has kept me from pursuing new and potentially exciting options in other regions of the world.  I may now tentatively consider the possibility of moving somewhere new. 

Where?  I cannot really say for certain.  Maybe Hawaii.  Maybe Paris.  Or maybe just downtown Minneapolis.  Time will tell.  But I am going to brush up on my French in the meantime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment