Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Darn Fine Pi Day

Do not worry, I am in a MUCH better mood today than I was yesterday when I went all crazy on Google. 

Although. 

I really should not be such a good mood, when you really think about it. 

This morning, I had a meeting scheduled to discuss a potential internship and I needed to be downtown Minneapolis by 8:30 a.m.  As I do not normally venture that far in my daily commute, I was uncertain how much more time to allow for driving and traffic congestion.  I estimated on the high side.  I was over by 30 minutes.

This meant that I arrived in the downtown parking garage at 7:45 a.m. with half an hour or so to kill before the meeting was to start.  Not to give away too much information about the location, but it is a semi-public place and a real hotspot for the homeless population of the city to chill in the morning hours.  Knowing this, I opted to remain in the parking ramp within my parked car for a considerable amount of time.  This is where having a smart phone came in handy.  I was able to check emails, update Facebook and text with my mother.

Around 8:15, I gathered my courage and went into the building hoping that the party I would be meeting would be early as well.  No such luck.  Fortunately, there was a nearby coffee shop, so I went in and ordered a latte.

Promptly at 8:30, my meeting started and I think that it went quite well. 

You are probably confused at this point as to why any of this could have had the potential to put me in a bad mood despite my avowed cheerfulness of the moment.  To explain, we must journey back in time... to last night.

In anticipation of my longer commute, I decided to set my alarm for 5 a.m.  As it was to turn out, I totally did not need the extra half hour of wakefulness, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Due to the perceived ungodliness of the time I was to awake, I opted for a semi-early bedtime attempt last night.  So around 9:30 I started moving towards sleep preparations.  I took Lena out for her final bathroom break, washed my face, brushed my teeth and got into bed.  Lena followed me, as usual, and we snuggled in to bed.  When I turned off the bedside lamp, the clock read 10:15 p.m. 

For the next 45 minutes, I drifted towards sleep.  Then things got weird.

Suddenly, I felt Lena jump as if startled followed by her leaping over me and off of the bed.  As I have learned from past experience, this can lead to messy situations, so I dragged myself out of bed and took her back outside.

She took care of one kind of business and came back in with a bounce in her step.  I figured it would be OK to try to sleep again, so we returned to the bedroom.  Instead of leaping back up onto the bed with me, Lena cowered and tried to crawl under the bed in fear.  As there was no clear sign of what was freaking her out, I picked her up and put her on the bed.  This did not help.

After a stint in the bathroom waiting for the potential vomit that did not come, we went outside again where Lena took care of another kind of business.  At this point I was quite certain that Lena was not going to be sick and was experiencing some kind of emotional reaction, perhaps to a dream.

In the end, I had to rearrange my bed to allow Lena to sleep in a different area.  This worked, technically, but the net result was that I did not finally get to sleep until after midnight.  Did I mention that my alarm was set for 5 a.m.?  Uh huh.

So now it is Wednesday evening and I am crashing pretty hard.  I took Lena for a longer walk than normal in the hopes that it would wear us both out entirely and lead to a better night sleep.  We shall see if it works...

But before I go, I just have one thing to say:  Happy Pi Day!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment