Friday, March 2, 2012

Movements and Hormones

As much as I hate to say it, my hormones are out of control today.  I truly wish that I had better control over the situation, but my mood swings seem to have a mind of their own.

This morning, it was set off by my dog and her stubborn unwillingness to have a bowel movement.  At this point, I realize that I sound a bit crazy, but she is on a very regular schedule.  I have found that deviations from normal patterns lead to messes and possible emergency vet visits if not taken seriously. 

The problem, it seems, is Lena's love of snow.  She gets so distracted by it that she cannot focus long enough to take care of business.  I wasted about 15 minutes of my morning standing outside, holding her leash and admonishing her in the nicest tones possible to "GO POOEY."  Instead of doing this, she chose to sniff, dig, sit, and eat in the snow. 

Finally, as my departure time for work starting to pass into the dangerously tardy zone, I had to bring her back in for her daily confinement.  She knew I was upset as she beelined it for her kennel once we were in the house.  Perhaps there was also something in my tone and body language. 

You see, it isn't just the bowel movement.  No, it is the fact that tonight I have to pack up and head down to my parents' house where we will be staying for the next six nights.  Five of which I will have to spend sharing my bed with three dogs.  I am not anticipating that I will be getting much sleep in the next week, but at least I am mentally prepared for it.

Hopefully, she will take care of business before we hit the road and I can avoid having to worry about it.  Certainly once we get to the large fenced yard she should have no trouble satisfying both her snow exploration fantasies and her basic bodily functions.  That is my hope.

The problem with hormonal influence is that the strangest things can set me off.  Once I am in the "rage state" it can be difficult to pull in the reins.  Fortunately, after my frustration with Lena, I had about 20 minutes to cool down in the car.  Or unfortunately as it turned out.  When one is already a bit irritated, any slight perceived misbehavior on the part of other drivers can send one into a new level of anger. 

Good news:  I made it to work in one piece.  By the time I pulled into the parking lot, I was fine.  So far so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment