Wednesday, March 7, 2012


At this moment, I am experiencing what I can only simply describe as Total Mental Exhaustion.  This is a condition that not even gallons of coffee can remedy, so I will just have to bear through it. 

What brought me to this state?  It would be difficult to pin the blame on any one thing, so I will guess and say that it is a combination of several.

First, there is the fact that I have spent the past four nights sharing a bed with three canines of the terrier variety.  In all honesty, they have been rather well behaved compared to previous experience.  They assume their preferred positions in the bed and pretty much leave me with enough space of my own to sleep comfortably. 

It has also perhaps helped the situation that I have set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. for three of our mornings together; a practice that they all appreciate.  You see, the period of time immediately after awakening is a pretty awesome time for the dogs.  This is when they get their first trip outside to greet the day, their first official meal and of course, their first official Dingo treat.  Sometimes they even get a short walk (if my dad is around).  Within a space of approximately an hour, they receive all of their favorite things in life.

Dog reasons aside, let me move on to the other potential contributors to my present fatigue.

Last Saturday, I woke up at my normal work time of 5:30 a.m., but I did not go back to sleep.  I arose, ate and showered to prepare for my first day of judging for regional History Day events.  I spent the better part of the day interviewing students and evaluating exhibits.  On Sunday, I rested.  (As God intended, right?)

Monday it was back to the grind, albeit with an earlier quitting time on the job to allow for the fact that my parents dogs are NOT accustomed to being left alone for the equivalent of my full work day plus extra commuting time. 

Tuesday was another shortened day, but by 4 p.m. I had to report in for my second regional History Day judging assignment.  This one was a different as I found myself watching and judging group performances.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed this event, but it kept me out until 10 p.m.  By the time I arrived home, I was in a daze.  I tried to sit and chill with the pups for a bit, but I couldn't do it.  My body was shutting down.  

I gave in to my feelings and went to bed.  I slept soundly, but for some reason, I cannot shake the feeling of Total Mental Exhaustion.  It is shocking that I have even been able to articulate this blog entry. 

The good news is that my parents will arrive home today.  This means that my father can resume sleeping with their two dogs and I can go back to dealing with mine.  The less good news is that tomorrow evening I am judging my third event.  I will not know what kind of presentations I will be seeing, but I sincerely hope that my mental acuity has returned by that time.

This weekend, I intend to stay at home, relax and perhaps do some much needed housework.  Oh, and I definitely plan to sleep past 5:30 a.m.  Just you wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment