Monday, October 10, 2011

North Shore Dreaming

Pardon me, but I needed to take a few days off from blogging.  For my sanity.  Or at least to help me not feel like I was deliberately avoiding the real work at hand.

You see, this week I have a group presentation.  Yes, it is on Thursday, and yes, it is only to a group of six other students, but it is a little nerve-wracking to think about.  Of course, I am also working with two other people, which means that I must continually calm myself with the knowledge that we are all going to contribute and I do not need to do all the work.

This Thursday is important for other reasons as well.  I am attending a Career Fair.  I have never in my life attended such an event, and I am a little bit nervous.  I have been attempting to improve my resume, but the level of creativity required for such an activity only seems to come in spurts these days.  Wish me luck.

My parents have returned from their getaway up north to the fabulous out-of-the-way town of Grand Marais.  If you don't believe me, find this place on your handy MN map.  Hint:  you will need to look along the shore of Lake Superior.

They returned full of stories of the locals, the beautiful scenery and the fabulous food.  As they shared, I was again reminded of an idea that has been at the back of my mind since I was quite a bit younger.  When I was in middle school, my family made a trip up to Duluth to visit friends.  We had a wonderful time.  The most significant outcome of this was that I became enchanted with the North Shore.  Duluth is a lovely town, but driving along the coast of Lake Superior is an experience like none other.

I believe that this was around the time that my parents took me with them on a trip to Boston.  I had never spent much time in coastal towns, and something about being so close to the ocean was intriguing to me.  When I discovered Duluth, I realized that coastal living may be even closer than I had thought.  In my head, I formulated a plan to one day live along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

True, I had no idea what I would do for a job or how old I would be when I moved, but I envisioned myself being happy there.  Not only because the scenery is beautiful, but for many other supplementary reasons as well.


I really do love the fact that Lake Superior renders the need for air-conditioning useless.  If you are familiar with my lamenting the need to find a place to live that does not suffer from high heat and humidity, this may be the solution.  And it wouldn't require me to leave my home state, which is always a bonus.

I assume that the relative remote-ness of towns along the North Shore would make it easier to relax and be peaceful.  Not that my life is truly that hectic as I do not have children or a spouse to care for, but work, school and paying for the gas to transport myself between all these locations on a daily basis can be overwhelming.  I do miss the days of living in a small town and knowing that everywhere I need to be was within 15 minutes of driving time and where rush-hour was non-existent.

Clearly, I do not have a specific plan of action to remove myself to Lake Superior in the near future, but it is interesting how old dreams can resurface so easily.  Perhaps I will keep an eye out for librarian job openings up north and wait for the right opportunity.  Or maybe I will live in my town house for the rest of my life.  We shall see.




No comments:

Post a Comment