Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lena's got the fever...

Well, I knew that it was only a matter of time before it happened.  After all, the holiday season is upon us in full swing now that there is a decent layer of snow on the ground. 

In case you were not aware, there are few things in life that fall at the low end of my tolerance spectrum.  Nicholas Cage is one of them.  Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" is right there as well.  Every time I hear that wretched song, my insides recoil in unison.  Blech. 

I heard it today, dear readers, while sitting at a Houlihan's restaurant.  Perhaps I should have known better as I am fairly certain I have heard this song in the exact same location played in years past.  I guess I have not learned my lesson.

Very well, the pain is past and we can all move forward.  Right?

This weekend has been full of surprises.  On Friday night, I arrived home to find that my dear Lena was having some problems with her foot.  The irritation seemed to be limited to her dewclaw on her front right foot, but she also seemed (to me) to be a bit warm as well.

Naturally, I placed a call to my vet brother for some reassurance and advice.  He carefully asserted that it was not an "emergency" and that I could safely wait until morning to try to bring her in for a regular vet visit.  His concern was that she could already have an infection and that it would be best to have the wound examined as she was clearly having none of my attempts to view it myself.

So at 8 a.m. Saturday morning, I promptly called my vet clinic and made an appointment.  Unfortunately, time was a bit tight on Saturday as I had a date to meet with a partner for a group assignment at 10:30 before our 3-hour class at noon.  Yes. 

Luckily, they were working on schedule at the clinic, so we were in and out in good time.  Turns out, she was running a temperature, so she got a shot of antibiotics and some pain meds and we were on our way. 

I am happy to report that she is doing much better and is back to her old self.  For better or worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment