Monday, December 19, 2011

One, two, buy me some shoes

So not only am I on a temporary caffeine fast, I am also supposed to up my fiber intake.  All of this diagnostic information comes from my own searches on WebMD, of course, so who knows.  Like I tell everyone who asks me if their wounds look infected, I am not a doctor.

The only thing I can say for sure is that medical issues sure are bothersome.  Especially ones that require me to give up a normal daily habit, even if only on a temporary basis. 

Tomorrow is graduation.  I have spent surprisingly little time worrying about this, and that may have been a mistake.  Yesterday, I settled on a dress that I already own to wear underneath my gown.  This was after I started to worry that I needed to make a quick run to some local shops for a last minute purchase.  My next problem was footwear. 

Yes, I do have some nice shoes already.  They work perfectly well for most occasions.  Unfortunately, most of my dress-up outings do not involve walking across a stage in front of hundreds of people while wearing a flowing robe to accept a degree.  While being photographed and potentially videotaped.  Gah.

Thankfully, we have yet to receive our major snow cover for the season and it doesn't appear to be on the horizon to happen before tomorrow night.  This means that my footwear decision does not need to accommodate snow or ice.  Yay. 

In the interest of sanity, I have decided that I need to wear flats or very low heels.

Sadly, I do not possess any comfortable shoes of this nature.  So I have turned to my friends at Zappos. 

Oh, wait.  And I also need some new comfortable work-appropriate shoes. 

Unfortunately, these two needs did not coincide at the right time.  Last night, I went online to Zappos and found a pair of reasonably priced and cute black shoes which I promptly ordered.  Now, you may be thinking that I was nuts to assume that said shoes would arrive in time for graduation, and you may be right.  I may be crazy.

But a girl can hope, right?  Zappos is known for being insanely quick, right? 

This morning, I received an email from Zappos.  It was not to inform me that my shoes had shipped, but to congratulate me on my elevation to VIP status on their website.  Among the many free benefits, I am now entitled to free next day shipping. 

Had I received this recognition 24 hours earlier, I would have my new shoes right now.  No such luck. 

In my supreme wisdom I decided that I had a few options available to me:

1.  Order the same shoes AGAIN and return the pair that arrives later.
2.  Order a DIFFERENT pair of shoes than the first and keep both pairs.

I went with my second option.  This is mostly because I hate returning things, even when the company offers free no-hassle options.  I do not understand the psychological underpinnings of this propensity, but I suppose you could trace it back to my grandmother and her constant gift-giving adage, "You can always return it."  This phrase was often uttered either before or while a gift was opened.  Who knew that it could have lasting effects?

Anyway, my second order is due to arrive tomorrow.  My other order should arrive by the end of the week.  I will be keeping them both.  For now, I am wearing my old beat-up shoes with my new ninja socks.  That's right, you heard me.  NINJA.

No comments:

Post a Comment