Saturday, December 31, 2011

Oops...

I lied to you.  I wished you all a happy end to 2011 and then signed off as if I would not write again in this calendar year, yet here I am.  It is December 31, 2011 and I am blogging.  Of all the weird things to do.

My week of vacation is finally nearing its conclusion.  It really has been fabulous as far as vacations go despite my lack of adventurous travel.  Other than Christmas family voyaging to the farm last weekend, I have stayed at home (my OWN home) and tried to get a handle on the large amount of stored crap that I have accumulated.  If I were more industrious, I would probably have more to show for it.  But as this was also my vacation from work, I didn't want to take it too far.  Plus, I still have tomorrow and Monday to work, right?

In the end, I was able to take seven boxes of clothes and one large bag of shoes to Goodwill yesterday.  I have thrown out at least that many bags of garbage so far with many more to come.  I knew that I should have bought the extra large black garbage bags, but I went for the white kitchen bags.  Big mistake, it turns out, but I am using them anyway.

Of all the pleasures afforded by spending a week relaxing in the shelter of one's own home, nothing can quite top the bliss of sleep.  When I work, my alarm goes off at 5:30 a.m.  It is dark, cold, and the thought of getting ready to spend another day working in an unfulfilling job is not always very motivating.

I know, I know, I should be thankful to even have a job, blah blah blah.  However, now that I am officially done with my graduate degree and can go forth into a new career, it seems that the universe has decided not to let this happen.  I know that I need to be patient, but I have been ready to move on for such a long time that every minute I spend not doing what I have dreamed of doing feels like wasted time.

So I guess if I had to make a resolution for 2012, it would be to finally move out of my corporate drone status and into a fulfilling work within a library or library-like setting.

Last night I had a strange and unsettling dream.  Not that most of my dreams are calm and serene, but this one left me with a strong sense of disappointment.  This led me to ponder the nature of most of my dreams.  I don't know about everyone else, but my dreams have never left me with a sense of fulfillment or true happiness.  There is always something missing.

What does it all mean?  Darned if I know.  Is it a representation of my waking life?  Maybe.  Or maybe I have been watching too many episodes of "Bones" this week.  I finally made it through the sixth season, so I am almost caught up to the current episodes.

But tonight I will leave my hermitage and venture forth into society to celebrate the end of 2011 and the start of 2012.  I will do this with the same people I do this with every year and I suspect that I will have a good time.  Beverages and food will be consumed, games will be played and loud noisemakers will be sounded at the end of the countdown.

For now, I will enjoy a few more hours of restful bliss in my own home with my own very affectionate dog.  I hope that you all have a lovely final day of 2011 and a beautiful and hope-filled start to 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment