Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Recent developments

Although I wouldn't say that the past 24 hours have been exactly thrilling, there have been some interesting moments.

First and foremost, my mother has passed her National Counselor Examination for licensure as a counselor!  Four years after graduating from her master's program, I should add.  It has been a bit studious around my parents' house lately as she has been preparing for this.  Let me tell you, she worked very hard at this.  Never doubt my mother when it comes to tests.  Leave all the doubting to her.

So CONGRATULATIONS, Mom!  I really never thought that it would be a problem for you to begin with, but I am glad that you proved me right (and yourself wrong).  :)

Second, I had a random message from an old friend last night through Facebook.  This is a friend with whom I spent many hours of my adolescence through my early twenties.  Then, for some bizarre and unknown reason, in our mid-twenties we grew apart.  She moved around to different places and while we always meant to get together, it never seemed to happen.  The last time I saw her was in 2008 at a wedding, and even that was quite brief as she didn't stay for the reception.

I take partial responsibility for this situation.  I totally could have pushed harder for a meet-up.  Actually, she only lives about 30 minutes away from me right now, which you would think would make it easier to facilitate.  But no.

So, last night I was doing my daily check-in on Facebook and was suprised to see that I had a message from her.  As our communications have been few and far between, I was curious to see what she had to say. 

Turns out she has been in communication with another former classmate of ours from high school over Facebook and they are meeting up for a date tonight.  She felt the need to tell me because she thought that I was the only one that knew she had actually liked this guy in high school.  In reality, she never actually admitted to it to me, although I always kind of suspected it because she flirted with him quite a bit. 

Truth be told, I think that they could be quite compatible, at least based on what I have seen of him on Facebook in recent years.  So I am hopeful that it goes well for them. 

Still, it was very random.  I have not yet responded to the message, mostly because I don't really know if it warrants a response.  I have to admit that I was a tiny bit sad that she was making the effort to plan and get together with a guy she only knew somewhat well from high school when we never seem to be able to do anything.  Maybe I will make a push for it and see what happens. 

My final item to share pertains to my dog.  Apparently, Lena now thinks that our daily wake-up time should be 5 a.m.  To be fair, I have been setting the alarm for 5:30 a.m. to allow time for a full morning walk, but every morning this week so far, right at 5, she rises and starts her morning dance.  Thankfully, she waits until the alarm actually goes off to climb on top of me, but from 5 a.m. onwards she is on constant watch to see if I open my eyes.  If she gets eye contact, it's all over.

This morning was a sticky walk.  Humid.  We met quite a few other people out for early morning strolls, which is encouraging, but I know I am not looking my best at 5:30 a.m. after rolling out of bed, so I am a bit leery of greeting potentially attractive members of the opposite sex.  Oh well. 

Anyway, Lena obliged with my walking objectives and voided both her bladder and bowels.  No problem.

We arrived home and had breakfast.  Lena finished before me and proceeded to roll around on the floor with her toys in ecstasy.  When I was about halfway through my meal, she sat down on the ground next to me, looked up at me and proceeded to drag her butt across the carpet. 

I realize this is normal dog behavior, so it doesn't really freak me out.  This time Lena decided to class up the routine a bit.  After finishing her butt drag, she stopped, looked back up at me and belched.  Quite a gal, that dog of mine.

So to summarize, in the past 24 hours, my mother passed her NCE, I received a message from a long-lost friend to tell me that she has a date, and my dog demonstrated that she can pass as "one of the guys."

What will the next 24 hours bring? 

No comments:

Post a Comment