Friday, July 22, 2011

Just dance

You know, when I wrote my last entry I firmly believed that I would not be able to write again for a long time.  Then I logged back in and wrote an entry.  A painful entry.  I am not going to share it, but I am glad that I wrote it.  All of the things that ping around in my head all day long eventually need an outlet that is non-violent, and I prefer not to write it all in a diary any more.  Childhood trauma involving my mother breaking through locks or something.

So here I am.  I am going to write.  The things that I write to publish will be less personal than the things I write just for me, but such is life. 

Have you heard of these things called "video games?"  Maybe?  Well, I have.  No, I am not a gamer, but I enjoy a good round of Mario Kart or Super Mario Brothers on my Nintendo Wii.  In fact I am actually good at Mario Kart (to the surprise of many). 

So last weekend, out in Brooten I encountered a new game.  New to me, anyway.  Not new to younger, hipper cats than me, I imagine.

My cousins own it and it is called "Just Dance 2."  This is obviously the sequel to "Just Dance," but I will get to that soon.

Essentially, one must watch and mimic a dancing silhouette on the TV screen while holding the Wii remote.  The motion sensor judges your dancing abilities from this and awards points.  It is a lot harder than it looks.  After watching and being owned by an 11 and 13 year old boy dancing to Kesha's "Tik Tok," I secretly vowed to imrpove my skills.  Of course, I did get the high score to Ike and Tina Turner's "Proud Mary."  But I need to work on it.

So... yesterday I went to Best Buy and bought myself the original "Just Dance" game.  While I was standing in the game aisle, an overly-enthusiastic floor sales rep approached me (as is their custom) to see if I needed assistance.  He noticed that I was looking at "Just Dance" and comparing it to the new "Just Dance Summer Party."  It was a tough choice. 

In situations like this, I like to seen more savvy than I really am.

Dude:  Hi!  Is there anything I can help you with?

Me:  Uhhhh, I was just looking at these dance games.

Dude:  Are you familiar with them?

Me:  Yes.  My cousins have them and they really like them.  [Note:  I was trying not to make it seem like I was buying this for myself.]

Dude:  Oh yeah, they're super fun!  We have the new Summer Party that I see you're already looking at and... [aside] you know, "Just Dance 3" is coming out soon.  You can preorder it if you want.

Me:  Why yes, I did know that.  My cousins mentioned it [Not true - I saw it online when I looked it up for myself.]

Dude:  So do you need any help choosing?

Me:  No.  I think I know.  This one has MC Hammer.  It is the winner.

Dude:  Awesome!  Let me know if you need anything else.


So yes, I did buy the one with MC Hammer.  Last night, I played it.  For an hour and a half.  It felt great.  I really needed to the physical exertion to get my mind off of other things. 

This morning, I was sore and could not figure out why.  Then I remembered all the flailing and jerking I did as I attempted to "dance."  But I cannot give up.  I must be awesome so that I can prove to my cousins, brother and the world that I can beat their high scores. 

Also, I would really like to get some of these moves down so that I can surprise people the next time I have the opportunity to dance.  Apparently, the 7th grade boys in Brooten (including my cousin, Ben) have used some of their Wii dance moves at the school dances.  That's right - BOYS.  The girls in Brooten (at least the 7th graders) don't dance. 

Picture it:  a group of awkward 13 year-olds moving in time to Kesha.  Unbelievable.  If only this stuff was around when I was in Jr. High. 

No comments:

Post a Comment