Saturday, June 4, 2011

Disconnected Weekend Morning Musings

Here I am on a Saturday morning!  Barely morning I guess as it is about 25 minutes until high noon, but I will grasp at it while I can.  I am writing from the comfort of my own couch which is a bit of a novelty these days.  Here is the bonus info for today - my lovely dog let me sleep in until 10 a.m.!  I should clarify that we did awaken a few times prior to 10, but every time she just laid back down and snoozed some more.  It was heavenly.

Lena is now waiting patiently for me to finish up my writing so that we can go for a walk.  The dishwasher is running and I am also doing laundry.  Both of these things may seem simple, but for someone who is barely around enough to bring the the mail on a regular basis, it is very impressive.

My cross-stitch project is also sitting in front of me and I am pleased to say that it is coming along nicely.  Although there will be at least one flaw in it due to the fact that the original that I am using as a template contains a few flaws made by my aunt.  Fortunately, I was able to spot most of these, but one slipped past me unnoticed until it was too late.  Oh well, the beauty is in the flaws, right?

One of the great things about spending time at home is that I get to pull back from reality for a little bit.  I do not have cable TV and the digital converter box creates more problems than I am willing to address, so the only thing I use my television for is watching DVD's.  Now that my computer connection is tied to a mobile hotspot device, I am no longer able or willing to watch streaming video online either.  In fact, I find that I am only on the internet for limited periods of time if at all.

I just wasted about 10 minutes trying to import a photograph that I took of Lena watching me type as she patiently waits for her walk.  Due to some sort of issue with jpg files, I was unable to import the photos.  Go figure.  Someday it will all make sense to me, I'm sure.

There is something I feel that I should share.  Yesterday, I took Lena out for an evening stroll despite the 90 degree temperature with high humidity levels.  It was pretty gross, but a girl's gotta walk, right?  Anyway, along the walk I made some very interesting and slightly chilling discoveries.

No, it was not the kind of discoveries that I make when walking during the winter when I realize that none of my neighbors want to take responsibility for their dog's poopies.

It was that there seem to be a LOT of ants living in this neck of the woods.  Ant hills EVERYWHERE along the sidewalks.  HUGE ants crawling across walkways.  There was one section in the opposite end of my neighborhood where the edge of the sidewalk was literally SWARMING with ants.  It was very creepy.

This discovery has led me to ponder my own ant situation.  If we are experiencing an increase in ant population in the neighborhood as a whole, it seems possible that the number of ants I have experienced may somehow be related.  Sure, I realize that a few ants here and there are to be expected, especially when one leaves uneaten dog food in a dish for a day or two.  But if you had seen the number of ants that came out to my bait traps in the past couple of days, you would have been astounded as well.

I am happy to report that it seems that the bait traps are having an effect.  For the first day or so, there were tons of visitors, but the numbers have slowly tapered off.  I hope that this is due to the fact that the scavengers were returning to their homes with the poison to share with their housemates.  Normally I would not delight in a mass poisoning, but in this case, I cannot cohabit.

Well, it appears that the hour is now noon.  I should probably wrap this up and get my poochie out for a while.  As a concluding note, I just realized that I have written an entry every day so far this month.  This is not a feat I intend to continue, but it is interesting.  To me, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment