Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stylish Shoes and Foxy Conclusions

In case anyone has been waiting anxiously to find an update on the Edina coyote situation, I have some news.  It is actually cause for relief, which is good, but I am not quite ready to let my guard down totally on the subject.

This morning I was having my breakfast in my parents' kitchen by myself.  My mother had already left for work and my father was upstairs getting dressed.  The thug posse was happily occupied with Dingos in the living room.

All of a sudden, I heard my father shouting my name.  When one's parents start to have physical issues, this sort of shouting can be cause for alarm.  My dad recently had knee surgery, and although his recovery has been just peachy, you never know what can happen. 

After shouting my name, my dad yelled for me to come up there "right away."  Shoot.  I stopped eating and dashed up the stairs to his room to discover him standing in his closet, halfway dressed and looking out the window towards our neighbor's yard.  (Yes, their closet has windows.  Two of them.  Posh, right?)

I peered out the window and squinted (I was not yet wearing my glasses) towards the tree my father indicated.  Sure enough, a small reddish creature emerged into the yard:  clearly a FOX.  But that's not all.  My father instructed me to keep watching, and lo and behold a second fox came out and the two trotted off together. 

To clarify, as the Animal Control Officer explained to my mother, coyotes kill foxes.  If there was indeed a coyote in our neighborhood, there would not be any foxes out parading around like pigeons in an Italian piazza.  Therefore, my father has now surmised that there may be a den of foxes living in our neighborhood. 

This is not nearly as distressing to me for many reasons.  First, foxes are not known to be predators of Jack Russell Terriers and Rat Terrier/Papillon mixes.  (Yay!)  Second, foxes are kind of cute.  Third, it sort of reminds me of the Disney version of Robin Hood.  You know, with the foxes playing Robin Hood and Maid Marian?  The bear who plays Little John and sings the "Oodelally" song?  That takes me back.  My good friend Kellee used to sing it all the time in her lovely and unique tenor voice.  Ah, memories.

So now that I am on a stream of consciousness type of rant, I have realized that one of my current favorite songs also features foxes.  At least in name.  "Helplessness Blues" by Fleet Foxes has been in heavy circulation for me for a few months now.  My favorite thing about it is the first stanza (verse).  I am not going to quote or even paraphrase it here, so if you are really curious, check it out.  It is dreamy.

To bring it all back down to earth, my first Zappos.com purchase arrived today!  I have casually perused this site for a long time, but never really had cause to order anything.  However, with the number of formal occasions on the docket for me this summer, I decided to take some action and get some "fun" formal shoes. 

Normally I stick to black heels, mainly because most of what I wear for formal events is black.  I toyed with the idea of getting a pair of really awesome sky-high patent leather red heels, but a friend of mine kindly reminded me that that might be a bit too much for me.  Maybe if I kicked my normal look up a notch and started wearing some more dramatic makeup and hairstyles and went for some less conservative hem and necklines on my clothing.  But these red shoes were borderline hooker-shoes, complete with corset-type lacing up the back.  I think my friend was right to push me in another direction.  Baby steps, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment