Friday, September 30, 2011

I wanted to use a cool XML reference here, but...

(Title, continued):  apparently Blogger does not let you use out of place references using tags that are not part of their HTML structure.  Boo-urns, Blogger.  Boo-URNS.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled bloggramming:

You know (and I am sure you do), I like to write about cake.  I have done it a lot as of late.  In fact, tomorrow I will be making yet another cake, but this one shall have a real purpose.  We are going out tomorrow night to celebrate the 31st birthday of one of my oldest and best friends, and I want to make her something special.  This means chocolate.  So you will probably have to endure at least one more entry that concerns cake, but it's OK because this new entry will be posted in a brand-spanking-new month! 

Can you believe it is almost October?  Gah!  Where does the time go?  Truly, fall is my favorite season, and I hate to see it pass so quickly, but I have not yet been granted the ability or power to stop time progression, so we will just have to accept it.  For now.

At the risk of sounding crazy, I am going to share with you the topic of an alarming number of my thoughts lately:  Christmas shopping.  I know, it's WAY too early to think about this, but I can't help myself.  Fortunately, my mother's birthday falls in the meantime, so I may be able to direct my gift-buying urges elsewhere. 

Guess what?  No, I did not with the contest for that blue Le Creuset pot on the Pioneer Woman website.  Even though I answered honestly that if I had to pick any age to be at for the rest of my life, it would be 25.  No, the big surprise is that I am learning a little bit of computer mark-up language and I actually find it... interesting. 

My last big foray into the world of real technical computing came when I was in middle school and spent some time on a college campus for "computer camp."  Honestly, I had a lot of fun at these sessions, and not just because we got to stay in real college dorms, eat in their cafeterias and go to the water park.  Learning how to use computer language to create programs was fascinating to me.

Sadly, this experience did not lead me to become a computer programmer.  In high school and college, I unintentionally avoided the computer science courses.  This may have been a mistake. 

In my current class, we are presently learning the language of XML.  To see an example of what this looks like, here is a food menu that has been encoded in XML.  (Note:  I did not create this file.)  Fun, right?

Well, if you would have showed this to me two years ago and expected me to understand it, I probably would have cried.  But here I am, two years later with a lot more knowledge and experience, and it makes sense.  I know.  Crazy, right?

So if you're wondering what I will be doing for the next few months by way of homework, this should give you a baseline idea.  I will also apparently be writing a mock grant proposal, but that is done in regular English.  Or so I believe. 

As a conclusion, if you think of me this evening, hope that I have found something entertaining to do.  My father is going to the farm and my mother has book club.  This means that from 6:30 to 11 p.m. or midnight, I will be home alone with the dogs.  Exciting, no?  Don't be jealous.  If you want, we can come to your house and visit.  Just be sure to have treats - and not just for the dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment