Monday, November 14, 2011

Smooth sailing

That last entry was pretty serene, wasn't it?  Don't worry, I am not trying to make a segue into some sort of diabolical rant about PMS or centipedes.  Although, I did kill one of the largest centipedes I have ever seen this weekend.  It was hanging out on the door to my parents' lower level bathroom.  I know that I should be all "live and let live" about these things, but it was indoors and it was CREEPY.  But don't worry, I went all Wild Kingdom on it and I am sure that it's demise was swift and relatively painless. 

I am proud to say that I was somewhat productive this weekend.  I got a very good start on my paper that is due this weekend, which is saying quite a lot for a chronic procrastinator.  My parents were out of town for most of the weekend, which may have been helpful as it left me with only canine companions for distraction. 

This morning on my way to work I had a bit of a sonic "moment of zen."  Apparently Peter Gabriel, (of 80's fame) has released a new album of "covers."  Oddly enough, they are covers of his own songs.  The twist that he puts on these versions is that he performs his vocals with a full string orchestra.  This morning on the radio, they played the new version of "In Your Eyes."  Truthfully, not my favorite song of all time, but hearing it in this new way was almost... majestic? 

Maybe this sounds silly, but it seems that I am getting some sort of cosmic reminder about my former life as a cellist.  Aside from this morning's radio rendition, I also attended a funeral last week for a former coworker where a cello was used to accompany a singer who performed during the service.  It was an unexpected reminder of why I was drawn to the instrument as a child. 

You see, in my school system, we were allowed to select a stringed instrument to learn when entering the fourth grade.  There was no question in my mind that I would participate just as there was no question that my instrument of choice would be the cello.  It wasn't high and annoying like the violin.  It had heft, and it looked cooler to play.  So for three years, I played the cello.

My career ended in seventh grade when I was forced to make a decision about my musical career.  You see, in fifth grade, we were allowed to choose a wind instrument to play in band.  As you may have already learned from this blog, I played the clarinet.  It was not impossible to do both band and orchestra at the elementary level, but in junior high, choir entered the picture.  In order to work in a full schedule, a student could not take more than two music classes.  So, if I wanted to participate in choir, one of the instruments had to go.

I wish I could say that I thought long and hard about it or that it truly was a difficult decision.  But it wasn't.  Orchestra simply was not as cool as band and choir.  There was also the fact that I rented my cello but owned my clarinet.  Honestly, I think that I just saw more of a future in band and choir.  Also, most of my friends were in those two classes. 

Looking back now, I hesitate to say that I made the right choice, even though I am pretty sure that I would do it all again if I had to go back in time.

Speaking of time, I think I should probably conclude this entry and spend some quality time with my dog.  She is giving me "the look."

No comments:

Post a Comment