Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Take heart

Last night I had to fight the urge to blog, which was difficult because I was really bummed out and wanted to share it with the world.  In the gray and dismal light of day, I am not sure that I really feel much better, but at least it's not Monday any more.  Right?

The reason for my bummed out feelings rested on the receipt of a letter that I was sort of expecting to receive but was disappointed to get it nonetheless.  It was from that library up in the boonies that I had sent my application materials in to earlier this month.  While I definitely fulfilled their requirements to apply, apparently there were a lot more people who were even more qualified than me.  This means that they will not have time to meet with me due to all the other people they want to meet instead. 

This bums me out for more reasons than just the obvious one, which is that I just wasn't good enough on paper to warrant an interview.  The other part of this that is depressing and mildly alarming is that this job is not in the metro area, and I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that the applicant pool would be smaller and therefore less competitive.  It seems that I have grossly misjudged the desperation of my fellow librarians, and I fear that this does not bode well for my career prospects.

The only glimmer of hope that I can hold on to at this point is that perhaps graduation will improve my prospects.  If there is one glaring issue with my credentials (other than lack of library work experience) it is that I am not technically done with my degree.  So all those job descriptions that list the degree as a requirement are actually not available to me... yet. 

It took me a while to locate this little particle of possibility.  Before that, I was deep into a funk that was not limited to my feelings about the job market but to the dating and housing market as well.  It sounds like I could really use a vacation, doesn't it? 

Well, it so happens that I am in luck.  Due to the fact that I am required to use up a certain amount of vacation before the end of the year, I will have a quite substantial amount of time off in about a month.  Combined with holidays and weekends, I will not have to work in 2011 after December 22 and will not have to return until January 3, 2012.  Crazy, right?

Sadly, I will not be taking any tropical vacations during this time.  Instead I will likely be spending time up at my aunt and uncle's cabin in Wisconsin and possibly some more time out on the farm.  If they can get the shower to work, that is.  Otherwise I will be spending time at home, curled up with some books and my dog, getting extra sleep and looking for jobs.  Oh, and cleaning.  Probably.



No comments:

Post a Comment